Crumpets Anyone

I have a few recipes waiting in the back of my mind. You know the type, the ones that seduce you with their glossy photographs. You've either torn them out from a magazine or bookmarked the page but never quiet got around to making them. Well the crumpet recipe goes back years for me it was in my mothers 'Women's Weekly Everyday Cookbook' The image looked amazing and I always had that 'I must try them one day', but with a good supply of fresh commercial bakery crumpets I was never pushed hard enough to make them until....


I moved to Darwin and the ones here have been frozen, trucked a ship load of miles, then left to thaw out on the supermarket shelf. Mmmmm appetizing, not. So I just stopped buying them.

I was searching my recipe folder a couple of weeks ago for a birthday treat request when I came across the page and finally made some. Oh my giddy aunt they tasted so good, they had the little holes in them and everything.

a crumpet cut open to show all the gorgeous holes

They are so incredibly easy to make and taste amazing. Fresh really is best.

Now this is my recipe, I changed it a little to accommodate what I had in the pantry but I will put the original ingredient list at the bottom.

Ingredients
4 cups Self Raising Flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoon sugar
3 1/2 cups lukewarm water
15grams dry yeast (two sachets)
spray oil

Method
  1. preheat a frying pan or electric frypan to a low heat (160 Celsius/ 250 Fahrenheit). I use my pancake maker by Breville (Pancake Creations) A good even bar-be-que plate would be great too.
  2. sift the flour, salt and sugar into a large bowl
  3. dissolve the yeast in the water
  4. add liquid to dry ingredients and beat until smooth. Note the mix will be quite viscous and it will want to creep up your beaters
  5.  Pour the mix into a large jug. Don't leave it too long as the yeast activates the mix will increase, a bit like the magic pudding.
  6. spray oil a little onto the pan surface and egg rings. Note I don't own egg rings so I used my circle cookie cutter so my crumpets have different size diameters
  7. 1/2 to 3/4 fill the egg rings (if you have a narrow toaster only 1/2 fill)
  8. Allow them to cook for about 10 minutes or  until the surface is covered in holes. 
  9. Cover the pan with a lid (I use a cookie sheet) and cook for a further 2 to 3 minutes or until the surface has set. So that it is not sticky on top.
  10. Cool on a wire rack  



These guys are slow and steady but well worth the wait.

Store them in a air tight container, I don't know how long they last, mine seem to be eaten within 24 hours.

But there is one more step.
Now if you have never had crumpets (stop laughing you English & Aussie people) They still need to be toasted. So just before you sink your teeth in, toast them to golden brown on top. I recommend the crumpet/bagel setting on your toaster, that way the bottoms don't over cook.

Serve them hot, traditionally with butter and honey. They are also good with Vegemite (stop wrinkling your nose up you funny Americans you, the secret to Vegemite is to use just a smear)  and I had some the other day with avocado & tomato with a little salad dressing that oozed into the holes...yum



How ever you like them, get into fresh crumpets, I can't beleave I waited so long.

Enjoy x Luna

P.S.
the original recipe, 4 cups plain flour, 2 tablespoons baking powder, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar, 3 cups water, 15 g (1/2oz) compressed yeast.

Comments

  1. I have been meaning to make crumpets for the longest time! Yours have turned out perfectly. There is nothing better than a hot crumpet, I tell you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every school should have a giant something

I got KISSed twice this week.