Clueless!, I Had No Idea

I had no idea I had Ovarian Cancer but I did have symptoms, I just didn't know what those symptoms were trying to tell me. And my ovaries were the size of emu eggs and I still didn't know.

February is Ovarian Cancer Awareness Month and the colour is Teal, nice

my afternoon teal kit


So I want to pass on as much info as I can because knowledge is power. And it can all be done with a K.I.S.S.   Know the Important Signs and Symptoms

 Most frequently reported symptom signs are
  • Abdominal or pelvic pain.

  • Increased abdominal size or persistent abdominal bloating.

  • Needing to urinate often or urgently.

  • Feeling full after eating a small amount

If you experience these symptoms for two weeks or more go see your GP. As you can see the symptoms are plain and could be caused by something quiet minor, which ever the case get yourself checked out. You may only need a simple blood test, I also had an ultra sound that confirmed I had enlarged ovaries and then the CT scan gave a whole lot more detail. The UK website below is really good and the video is great.

http://www.beatonline.info/





Yep in hind sight I had all of these symptoms. They started six months prior to being diagnosed. At first I thought my body was screaming out to have another baby. And I was seriously thinking of it, I love being a mum. Then I thought maybe menopause was coming on early. I know, from one extreme to another.

Then about 3 months out I started to put on weight, but unusually just around my belly. Meals hurt my stomach accompanied by indigestion. It felt like I'd eaten too much and then sat the wrong way on the coach after. So thinking I was just fat I signed up for a weight loss & fitness program.

even my logo has gone teal


In the end it was a series of lucky events that lead  me to diagnosis and surgery which you can read about on an earlier blog I did 'The Lucky Find' October 9 2012.

http://lunabirdart.blogspot.com.au/2012/10/the-lucky-find.html

support a great campaign wear a teal ribbon

I'll be Fund Raising and Awareness Spruiking all February, having Afternoon Teal with teal fudge of course and I'm thinking sugar cookies with teal icing yum! And selling official teal ribbons of course.I'll be at the Parap Markets every Saturday with goodies, ribbons and info or you can donate here.
http://2013afternoonteal.gofundraise.com.au/page/LunaBird

If you want to hold your own Afternoon Teal just go to Ovarian Cancer Australia website (linq below) they also have some really fun functions and fun runs around Australia, heaps in Victoria you lucky people you, well worth the look.
http://www.ovariancancer.net.au/

Another great web site for before and after a hysterectomy is HysterSisters. Very informative and supportive.




http://www.hystersisters.com/

Please fill free to share any of the linqs or this blog, that's the whole point, knowledge is key.

Enjoy x Luna



Comments

  1. These symptoms are so non specific. DO NOT give up if your doctor brushes you off as "just having abdominal issues" with NO real reason why!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every school should have a giant something

Zines